North DMC (Delhi Municipal Corporation) Medical College is one of the total three Medical Colleges being run in India by the Municipal Corporations.
On the ridge in Civil Line area of Delhi, almost opposite to the Ashoka Pillar is Hindu Rao Hospital, one of the oldest hospitals of Delhi. The hospital's main building is popularly known as Hindu Rao's House. The history of the hospital's main building is of special interest, as it was built in the early 19th century on a large scale, as a residence of the dynamic officer, William Fraser, who also later became the city's Resident.
Fraser was not a typical British officer. He liked Indian culture, tradition and people and kept himself aloof from English social life. It is one of the reasons why he built his residence here far from the wealthier European sections of the town. However, in 1835 A.D., Shams-ud-Din Khan, Nawab of Ferozepore, murdered Fraser. The house was then bought by Hindu Rao, a Maratha nobleman and brother-in-law of Maharaja Daulat Rao Scindia of Gwalior. Since then the building came to be known by the name of Hindu Rao, even though the owner of the house soon changed when a British family bought it after the death of Hindu Rao. Later, the house became the headquarters of British forces in 1857 during the First War of Indian Independence and withstood the fierce attacks of the nationalists.
In the early 20th century, the house was converted into a hospital for English nationals. It has continued to function as a hospital after India gained independence
Apart from the above history, the place where the house or main building of the hospital is situated has further historical importance, as it is the same site where Timur the Lame camped centuries ago, when he came and looted Delhi in 1398.
Hindu Rao Hospital is the largest multi-specialty hospital, run by MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OF DELHI catering to all sections of the society. In addition to the free OPD and in- patient services, it also offers reasonably priced facilities of a Nursing Home that has 48 spacious rooms. The strategic location of the hospital, its size and the breadth of preventive, promotive and curative services and the easy and cost-effective accessibility to specialized services that it offers has succeeded in creating a large regular clientele for the hospital. Though it primarily caters to a population of about 18 lacs –largely from North Delhi, its services are also utilized by patients from rural areas, towns from neighbouring states and even from far off places like Assam & Meghalaya. The hospital also caters to the medical and health needs of a number of referred patients from not only the dispensaries and colony hospitals managed by MCD but also from nearby public hospitals managed by Delhi administration and many charitable and private institutions.
This hospital is managed and controlled by M.C.D and is functioning under the supervision of Director Health Services-cum-Municipal Health Officer and the guidance of Additional Commissioner (Health). It offers a large and well-diversified menu of preventive, promotive and curative services ranging from the blood examination, provision of anti rabies vaccine, to CAT scan, Endoscopy, Hemo dialysis and YAG LASER photocoagulation. The hospital is reasonably well equipped with modern diagnostic, therapeutic, and residential facilities. It has a sanctioned bed strength of 980 which many a times (epidemics, natural calamities, accidents etc) needs to be supplemented with extra beds. It provides Casualty and Emergency services round the clock. The hospital has a well established network for referral to other hospitals (Sushruta Trauma Centre) and has a pool of ambulances to transport the patients. The hospital is recognized as a teaching institution for Diploma in Anaesthesia and DNB in many specialties. Presently the eighth batch of DNB students is receiving their training in Hindu Rao Hospital .
The Medical college is located in the campus of Hindu Rao Hospital. It is situated in North Delhi, in the Civil Line area. To the north of the hospital lies the North Campus of Delhi University, to the East lies the Civil Lines, to the South is the Old Subzi Mandi and to the West lie Malka Ganj. Surrounded by many important landmarks the most important being the RAJ NIWAS – Office and the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, which is situated to the East of the college in the civil line area, to the South East of the college lie some important landmarks—The Inter State Bus Terminus, the Tis Hazari Courts and also the Historical Kashmiri Gate and Mori Gate, which are all within a radius of 2 Kms from the college. The college is about 9 Kms from Connaught circus.
The Medical College located in the campus of Hindu Rao Hospital is well connected to every part of the city. There are 2 METRO stations around Hindu Rao Hospital PUL BANGASH in old Subzi Mandi area which is about 1 km. and the second metro station near the hospital is TIS HAZARI COURT METRO STATION which is about 1.5 km. The nearest Bus stops are Malka Ganj, Hans Raj College and Baraf Khana old Subzi Mandi area.The nearest Inter state Bus Terminus is Kashmere Gate Nearest Railway Station is Delhi Main (Old Delhi Railway station) and Subzi Mandi Railway Station.
Nearest Delhi Metro stations are Pul Bangash & Kashmiri gate.
Taxi and Three Wheelers are freely available